PVC Pilot Plant
Enabling in-house testing of specialist additives and safe disposal of toxic monomer.
Strata was approached by a major supplier of additives which are used in the PVC manufacturing process to develop a pilot scale PVC production test facility. This unit was designed to enable in-house testing of their specialist additives under real world plant conditions.
As a specialist producer of process additives our client only had very limited experience of handling vinyl chloride monomer and the suspension polymer process. Furthermore there was no infrastructure on site for handling or disposing of the highly toxic monomer. Strata was tasked to design a turnkey system that included:
- Design and fabrication of a jacketed stirred tank reactor
- Provision of a multi component reactor charging system
- Process control system build using ControLogix hardware
- A thermal destruction unit for the safe disposal of any un-reacted monomer
- A modular building with a sophisticated ventilation system to contain the equipment and provide a safe working environment for the research staff
Strata delivered a versatile test facility which has allowed the client to:
- Understand the performance of its specialist reaction additives
- Develop new products
- Provide close plant support to the existing commercial polymerisation processes by undertaking pilot scale studies of technical issues found in their manufacturing operations
Find out more about our Engineering Services.